Friday, June 9, 2017

The Horse Dancer by Jojo Moyes

  Moyes became recognized over her book "Me before you." I saw the movie and then read the book and I was a fan of both (literally sobbing at the end of the book on a bus with a ton of people giving me the side eye) Moyes is a fantastic writer. Her stories seem to drag on for me a little bit but that's only because she pays so much attention to detail that it gets explained a little TOO much.  You really get inside the characters minds and feel what they are feeling.

  In The Horse Dancer, you have 3 major plot lines. Natasha; the work-a-holic who has to be the best at everything, Mac who is the almost ex-husband who is trying to find a balance in his life post breakup and lastly, Sarah. Sarah is one of those 14 year old girls who is completely misunderstood. She is dealt a hand of terrible news, one after the other.

  I connected with Sarah most of all because I understood her reasoning behind everything she did. I think it's amazing that Moyes could write in the POV of a 14 year old girl and actually make me cry (multiple times) There is no stronger bond than between Sarah and her horse Boo. All her decisions are made with Boo has the primary focus in her mind, regardless of the consequences they will have on her own life. Sarah is a mature and selfless being at the age of 14 and I'm still shocked by how well written her character was.

  I only give this review 4/5 stars because I felt that towards the end, there was just too much extra wording that wasn't needed. The story could have been shorter and at times I felt myself thinking "why is this taking so long?" But other than that this book is another amazing piece of work by Moyes and her style of writing will continue to stand out amongst all others.

No comments:

Post a Comment