Friday, June 23, 2017

Replica by Lauren Oliver



I am a huge fan of Oliver's and when I was lucky enough to grab a ticket to her signing at BookCon, I jumped on it! Halfway through the line is the counter to purchase her books if you need one for the signing, and thats where I picked up Replica. I had no idea what the book was about but the cover was pretty cool so I took the chance.
  
  There is an author's note about the book when you first start reading it, stating that you can read each character through, chapter to chapter, or alternate one chapter at a time switching back and forth between Lyra and Gemma. The book flips over like a reflection, so if you go that route, be prepared to read one chapter and flip and twist the book to read the same chapter, but through the other characters POV.

  I went this direction because I thought it was fun and unique and I have to say I'm glad I did. It was nice kind of reading the same thing through different eyes, scene by scene, chapter by chapter. Some people may not like it and get annoyed; to each their own.

  Now, about the book! I have to say it is a awesome plot line and thought fully through. I understood each person that was mentioned and the environment they were in. The basis is that there is this place called Haven on an island that makes replicas of people to test different incubations and variations of mad cow disease. There is Gemma, who feels like she doesn't belong in the world, has only one friend and is trying to understand her place. Gemma is a heavy set girl and Olivers talk's about what thats like (in Gemma's eyes) which I think is great because in so many stories the main character is skinny and mysterious and has something unique about them that the author many times tries to portray as mysterious, but you sympathize with Gemma and can try to imagine what it's like to live her life. Then there is Lyra, who's whole story is told mainly from Haven, until she meets Gemma ( I don't want to give spoilers ) and my oh my where do I even begin with Lyra.

  Lyra is probably hands down one of my favorite characters I've ever read about. She is so raw and pure and I think what makes me love her so much is how she is portrayed in regards to her love interest,72. The whole point of the replicas in Haven is that they are science experiments. They breathe and bleed and have the same bodily functions as humans do, but they arent allowed to really learn, to read or have feelings/emotions, and the way Oliver describes Lyra's feelings and her thought process as her feelings develope for 72 are so beautiful. It brings me back to my first love. What it was like to actually feel that love grow and have yourself think to yourself from time to time "wow, so that's what this feeling is like!" It is so genuine and many times when I read Lyra's POV chapters, I found myself pouting my lip and wanting to hug Lyra. It really got to me unlike any other character has in a while. 

  I tolerated Gemma because I understood her vital role in the book, but I fell in love with Lyra's character so much, that I wish the whole book was just from her POV. I wanted more of her.  If I could turn Lyra into an emotion, it would be nostalgia. 

  I won an ARC of Ringer in a Goodreads giveaway, and am looking forward to reading it and writing a review for it so I can get more of Lyra's character. I recommend this book to anyone who wants to feel love again for the first time all over again.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment